Sunday, March 1, 2009

Tournament Stupidity

Today I participated in most of a tournament (Rogue Trader Style,) so I got to throw down my Eldar in a tournament with some new armies. My list was a fluffy three Dire Avengers squads and Asurmen, all flying around in Waveserpents (992 points.) The goal was to use the Waveserpents as objective contesters and anti-tank (two had twin-linked Bright Lances, one with twin-linked Shuriken Cannons, all with underslung Shuriken Cannons and Spirit Stones,) Asurmen as the close-combat dealy, and the Dire Avenger squads as tar pits and overwhelming fire.

The first game was a win by only a point, as I only had one scoring unit, while the second game was a nearly draw, since my gracious opponent allowed me to take back declaring a charge against a unit of genestealers and allowing it to rally. Of course, if I had remembered the squad of Dire Avengers in a Waveserpent, I probably would have pulled out another win.

Unfortunately snow had been building up, so we were discussing postponing the last game when the power went out. After a judging of paint jobs in the light from the double doors, we all packed up and braved the treacherous drivers on the less treacherous roads.

Things I learned:


  • Asurmen can kick the crap out of the opponent in close combat, even without support.

  • DON'T FORGET UNITS. It was suggested that I use Epic 40k vehicles and squads on the side of the board to represent who is where. Given that I want to get into Epic anyways, I'm probably going to give in to the temptation.

  • A triple Waveserpent list isn't terrible. Even against close combaty lists like a Genestealer list and Khorne Beserkers I was able to fight to a very close loss or win.

  • The downside of the list is the softness of my few scoring units. I usually run very infantry heavy lists, so it's difficult for me to deal with having my squishy, small scoring units be all that I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment